One of my goals for my 52 in 52 project is to donate $10 per month to a good cause. As soon as Rachel posted on her facebook page about fostering Beagles through the Beagle Freedom Project, I knew I would be donating! I was low on funds in January because of my job change and I didn't donate, so I just doubled my donation for February.
The Beagle Freedom Project is an amazing organization that rescues Beagles from laboratories. Did you know that Beagles are the most popular breed of dog to be used in laboratories because of their trusting nature? I didn't either and I was heartbroken when I learned this.
Beagles have a special place in my heart because of my dog Buddy, who passed away in 2010. I want to share Buddy's story today and why this cause is so close to my heart.
In 2003 we had just put down our Foxhound, Bear because of liver problems - we had put down our other Foxhoud, Penny the previous year because of a Brain Tumor that was causing horrible seizures.
A few months after putting Bear down, my friend Kris was playing at our neighborhood playground when a lady and her two kids approached him and asked if he knew anyone who had a Beagle because they found a lost dog. My neighbors Allen and Judy had a Beagle at the time so he sent them to their house. Their Beagle was home so they sent them down to our house thinking that Penny and Sandy were beagles and not knowing that they were no longer with us.
The lady came down to our house and we told him he wasn't ours. She then proceeded to tell us about how they found him walking along the main road but they were leaving on vacation and the humane society wasn't open ect. While talking to us, the two kids with her looked really sad and the Mom was looking around like she was checking the place out. We think they were trying to escape an abuse situation and needed to leave the dog. Their car was packed way more than for vacation, the dogs nails were clipped and he was clean like he'd just had a bath (it had just rained and was muddy out). We told the lady we'd take the dog and call the humane society when it opened the next Monday (this was a Friday). Allen and Judy kept him for a few hours but he didn't get along well with their other dogs so they asked if we could keep him.
We took him in and kept him in the back yard during the day because we didn't know how well behaved he was and we crated him at night the first night ... that did not go over well. Turns out he was super well behaved and was able to stay inside and sleep without being crated the next night. Well, the humane society wasn't open on Monday so my sister and I walked around the neighborhood asking if anyone recognized him, they didn't. My Mom also called the humane society and left a message saying that if anyone called about a Beagle to give us a call - just as we expected, we never got a call.
So, Tuesday we continued looking and my Dad called the house from work asking if the dog was still there any saying we're not keeping him, which he'd been saying since Friday. Well, the next morning before work my Dad got up and took the dog for a walk. As soon as he left the house my Mom looked at my sister and I and said, we're totally keeping this dog. We had him for 8 years.
I came up with the name Buddy but my Mom didn't like it because she called my brother Buddy and didn't want to get mixed up. We went with Skip for about a day and that just wasn't working so we went back to Buddy and it stuck. Buddy was definitely the best dog I've ever had. He was so well behaved it was crazy. He loved getting belly rubs and anytime anyone walked into the door he plopped down ready for a rub.
Funny story - my boss at Schwans used to have the same job I had while I was there and was our RSR when I was younger. My Mom stopped ordering in 2005. I recognized him and told him I think he was our "Schwan man" when I was younger and told him where we lived and my Mom's name. It wasn't ringing a bell. Then I said we had a beagle named Buddy and he said, "Oh yeah! I remember Buddy"! He was definitely that dog that everyone loved to death.
He also loved treat time and knew exactly when it was. Right around 9:30 every night he would start staring at my Mom and following her around. Every night she would ask what he wanted and he's starting barking and hopping backwards! I wish I had a video!
Buddy will always have a special place in my heart and I still miss his cute face. When I saw those little faces on the Beagle Freedom Project website, I knew there was no way I could pass it by and not donate.
Our Family loves Beagles so much my Mom and sister adopted Charlie, a Beagle mix
.jpg)



.jpg)





Beagle rescues are pretty big in the animal rights world. I'm glad you wrote about Buddy and this charity.
ReplyDeleteI love this charity and have been supporting for a few years now. Thanks for sharing this and your stories about Buddy.
ReplyDelete