Today, Taylor is hosting a link-up called Why We Work, in honor of Valentines day. So, today I'm going to share with you the reasons why Josh and I work :)
1. We Started off as Friends
Actually, technically we started out as coworkers (yes, I know, don't shit where you eat - we learned that one fast, but that's another story for another day). I think this made a huge difference in our relationship. We we're friends for almost a year before the subject of possibly dating even came up. Because of this I feel like we got to know each other really well without the pressure to impress.
2. We Tell Each Other Everything!
and I mean everything. Example - Josh smoked when we first started dating and I told him straight up that if we were going to date he would have to quit because I refuse to date a smoker. It's gross. We said he'd quit and I knew it would take time, my Dad's a smoker so I know quitting isn't easy. He bought patches and tried really hard to quit but sometimes he'd smoke one or two at work in those first few months but he'd always tell me. He could have gotten away with not telling me but he was completely honest. We also talk about our pasts. For some couples talking about past relationships and "hookups" is taboo but I think that's dumb. They are a part of your life and from sharing we've learned why other relationships didn't work and what we need to do to keep ours strong.
3. We Are Brutally Honest
Lying = the death of all relationships. We are honest, very straight up honest with each other. If he is annoying me, I tell him and vis-versa. Yeah, sometimes we both tell white lies - that is bound to happen, but we are honest where it is important. I have a very short fuse, unfortunately, but in dealing with that and not lashing out, I've learned to sleep on stuff - that way I don't completely blow up and Josh has learned to deal with that. This way I can be honest with him without being mean.
4. We Talk - About Everything
We talk a lot and we talk about everything. Communication is definitely key to a good relationship. Especially one like ours where our schedules don't exactly match up. Have I mentioned that I HATE his job? No? Well I do - with every fiber of my being (and he does too). Moving on ... we make time to talk on the days that we do have time to spend together. We talk about whatever we can think of. Right now our conversations are mainly wedding related but sometimes they're about really stupid stuff, but that's cool with me.
5. We Balance Each Other
He is definitely way more outgoing where I am more quiet (initially). On vacations, I want to do everything possible and he wants to relax (we do half and half). I like reading, he likes movies. I think the fact that we are different is good for our relationship. We each have things we like to do separate from the other person. But we also have things that we both like and can do together. I feel like this keeps us from being up each others asses - which for me is great because I do like my alone time.
Oh and most importantly on a day like today - we both HATE SNOW!!! ugh.
5. We Balance Each Other
He is definitely way more outgoing where I am more quiet (initially). On vacations, I want to do everything possible and he wants to relax (we do half and half). I like reading, he likes movies. I think the fact that we are different is good for our relationship. We each have things we like to do separate from the other person. But we also have things that we both like and can do together. I feel like this keeps us from being up each others asses - which for me is great because I do like my alone time.
Oh and most importantly on a day like today - we both HATE SNOW!!! ugh.




These are some great qualities to have in a relationship! Being able to tell each other when you need space or something is bothering you is such a difficult but important part of a successful relationship!
ReplyDeleteTotally agree :) everyone needs their own space from time to time
DeleteSounds like you found a relationship that will last! That's what this world needs more of! I'm soooo happy you found yours!
ReplyDeleteThis is great. You have a beautiful relationship! <3
ReplyDeleteThanks girl :)
DeleteThis is great! I am a big believer in being friends first too! Rich and I were and I think that it taught ups how to take care of each other on a different level, and I am so glad we did it the way we did! I just popped over from The Daily Tay! I have been loving reading what everyone has to say!
ReplyDeleteYou guys are adorable! I love the photos in this post! Cory and I started out as friends, too. And look at us now - married for 11 years this year! I really think "friends first" helps strengthen a relationship!
ReplyDeleteThat's so great!! and I totally agree that being friends first made us a stronger couple :)
DeleteJust found your blog through the link-up and am really excited that I did! You and Josh seem like such a great couple! Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteI love the brutally honest one! Some of my friends can NOT believe that I let my husband tell me when he thinks I make nasty dinners haha. I'm like...you'd rather not know?! What??
ReplyDelete