Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Battleship NJ: Part 3: Camden, NJ

Previous Posts:
Part 1, Part 2

The Battleship New Jersey

This final installment of our BSNJ tour is going to be a photo dump.  Otherwise, I'd be posting about this for a month!



 The huge missiles you've been seeing throughout these posts are Tomahawk Cruise Missiles. These Missiles are long range precision strike weapons used against both surface and land targets.  Each Mark 143 Armored Box Launcher holds four Tomahawk missiles in their canisters.  Once the launchers are fired, they can only be reloaded in port.   A nuclear tipped Tomahawk has a range of over 1,500 miles.  That means that if it were launched where it currently sits, it could hit any location east of Dallas, TX and as far South as Cuba!











I sent Josh to the Brig!! The Brig is the Navy version of prison.  Sailors were sent here for bad behavior and during WW2 it was also used to hold Japanese prisoners.














And that concludes our day at the Battleship New Jersey!  If you like history and are looking for something to do in the Philadelphia area, I highly recommend taking a trip to the BSNJ and doing a self guided radio tour!  It was such an interesting site to see and there is so much more than when I've posted about - I really had to weed out pictures!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up again! What are you going to post about next week now that this is done??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!