Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Blogtober: My Heart is in Costa Rica


Today's Blogtober topic is Best/Worst Vacation. 

Even though my trip to Costa Rica wasn't technically a vacation, it was a volunteer trip, it was still the best trip I've been on to date.  It was also the trip where everything travel wise went wrong.

Costa Rica is such a beautiful country with amazing people.  I am so glad I got to experience it and to stay at Las Cruces Biological Station.  We learned a lot about the plants and wildlife in the area and got to hang out with some pretty cool elementary school kids and do English lessons with them.

We also had a free day where we hung out on the beach at Manuel Antonio NP and went on a canopy tour in Quepos!  Best experience ever!!







The trip was amazing, I'd go back in a second.  However, we did not have a good time getting there or getting back.  Our flight from Dulles to San Salvador, El Salvador was delayed which made us miss our flight to Costa Rica.  We spend 6 hours in the airport in El Salvador which only has like 4 terminals so it was super boring.   Then we had to stay overnight in San Jose because of storms in the mountains.  Once we got on the road the next morning, everything was fine. 




One the way home flight wise everything was fine.  We had to spend 6 hours in El Salvador again but this time it was scheduled.  When we got back one of the vehicles had a flat tire.  So the other drove half the group home while the rest of us waited for AAA to come.  Then when the other vehicle was on the way back to pick up more of us, they got into an accident.  Everyone was OK but her car was totaled.  I guess the travel Gods wanted us to stay in Costa Rica.

So, I guess you could say that Costa Rica was both the best and the worst.  I look at it as the best though because now looking back, everything that went wrong (minus the accident) is kind of funny.

5 comments:

  1. Wow it's crazy how many hiccups you had! Glad it didn't ruin your trip though! We are hoping to travel to Costa Rica next year. It sounds beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a traveling nightmare. I am glad that your actual time in Costa Rica went well. Your pictures are beautiful. My husband went there once on business and said it is absolutely beautiful there and the people are friendly. I enjoyed reading your Best/Worst post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Costa Rica but I hear it's beautiful!! Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowzas! I can't believe all that happened, but I guess such is travel in less developed countries and it's amazing how you still enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, I loved Costa Rica as well. When we were coming home, we went through Houston and they almost didn't allow us back in the country. That was in 2002 when Mad Cow Disease was on the rise and we'd been in a third world country on Ag land and they frowned on that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!