Monday, January 27, 2014

Book Review: The Hunger Games Series

The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay
By: Suzanne Collins
Finished the Series: 2/8/12


I was a little skeptical about reading this series.  Other than HP, I usually don't get into the series with a big hype because they're usually a let down (ahem Twilight).   I ended up really enjoying the first two books.  I generally like stories which involve dystopian societies and I really liked the world she put together, it was definitely an interesting idea.  I thought the Hunger Games was a thrilling and suspenseful book and it really kept me interested.  Catching Fire was definitely not what I was expecting but I really liked the idea of the arena in that book, but I figured it was mostly a "transition" book.  However, I really didn't like Mockingjay much.  I wasn't a fan of the ending and I feel like it ended so abruptly.  I feel like Katniss had minimal involvement in the battles and therefore, we didn't get much detail on what was happening.  I really didn't like who Katniss had become, it seems as though she lost all her strength and determination.  Also, there is one death that I think was supposed to have a big impact, but I wasn't feeling it because the character wasn't a huge part in the story at all and the execution of it left much to be desired.  I just found it to be really anti-climatic and disappointing.  Of all of the books, I like the first one the best.  I feel like that is where all of the characters are their best and it's definitely the most entertaining and fast-paced book of the series. 

I would recommend this series but just don't go into it with the high hopes that I had.  It's definitely not bad, but I think the ending kind of ruined it for me. 

I gave Hunger Games a 5/5
I gave Catching Fire a 4/5 
and I gave Mockingjay a 3/5
on my GoodReads

6 comments:

  1. I'm always surprised when I hear people didn't like Mockingjay, because it was my favorite of the series. I know the death you are talking about, and it hit me hard. There were tears.

    I think I have more interest in what's going on behind the scenes than I do in the real action, so that probably why I liked that book best. I'm happy you decided to pick up the series. I'm getting a little tired of all these YA novels, but this was a series that was worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite was Catching Fire, although I loved the first book, too. I was like you and was pretty disappointed by the third book, and certainly by that awful ending. Have you seen the movies yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the first two books were better and the third one was a disappointment for sure. Nothing tops the Harry Potter series for me, not yet at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the first two books were great, but couldn't really get into Mockingjay! But I read them back to back, so I think I was just ready for it to end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mockingjay really let the series down. I guess we're supposed to see how Katniss was just worn down from war? But honestly it seemed she was tranquilized for most of the book. The ending made perfect sense to me, though, so no disappointment there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those books! One of the best :) Mockingjay for me was the best, tho it looks like you like Catching fire more. But still, happy to have some book buddies out there. :3

    xx - http://niculeley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!