Friday, November 8, 2013

Book Club Friday: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
By: Ransom Riggs
Pages: 352
Read: 8/17/12


"A horrific family tragedy sends Jacob 16 to a remote island off Wales, to the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, where he finds unusual old photographs. The children, one his grandfather, were more than peculiar, perhaps dangerous, quarantined for good reason - and maybe still alive"

 I still don't know how I feel about this book.  The story moved at a good pace at the beginning and really kept me interested because it was different from anything I had read before.  However, I feel like it kind of dropped off after you figure out who the kids are and why they are there and also after you figure out what happened to Jacobs Grandfather.  I do like how the author incorporated pictures into the story because it gives a better idea of what the kids looked like and what they can do.  I am also not a fan of the cliffhanger ending, which is an obvious set up for a sequel.   I really liked the idea behind the story but I think it could have been executed a little better.  The sequel is out now and I plan to borrow it from my sister when she finishes, just to see what happens and if it is any better.

I gave this book a 3/5 on my Goodreads.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm I hate when that happens! Authors develop a storyline and then stop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first picked this one up, I was a little disappointed because I thought the main character would be a girl, like the girl on the cover. Jacob started to grow on me, though. I'll have to read the sequel eventually, because the ending is quite a cliffhanger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a while I wanted to read it but then kept seeing lots of mixed reviews and a few poor ones and decided to pass. It's always a bummer when that happens. I mean, as a reader we want the book to be good and grasp our attention but I guess we can't win them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep thinking I want to read this one but like Aubrey's comment above I have heard good and bad but I guess it's personal opinion which is going to differ. I am going to add it to my list for christmas as I'm on a no book buying thing until I have read my incredibly extensive selection of books I already have (two huge ikea boxes full to the brim)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like it would have been a great book, I even love the title. But I'm like you - I don't much care for it when the suspense drops off too early. I added you on Goodreads!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!