Friday, November 15, 2013

Book Club Friday: Eragon

Eragon
By: Christopher Paolini
Pages: 503
Read: 9/29/12


"One boy . . .

One dragon . . .

A world of adventure.

When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon soon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself.

Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds.

Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands."

The first thing that amazes me about this book is that Christopher Paolini was only 15 when he began writing it!  I really liked this book.  I thought the story line was really good and I really loved the characters.  It was easy to get into this book and for the most part it was and engaging story.  I only had two issues and one is that he was overly descriptive at some points and while I did like that he described his made up land so well, I like to be able to paint my own picture.  Also, this book got slow at some points and it was hard stay in the story until something happened to zap you back in.  It reminded me of LOTR in that respect.   I have heard that the sequels are better and I plan to read them and find out. 

I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads


2 comments:

  1. I am looking for new books to read! this one sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series! My younger brother was actually the first one to start it, and since they were around the house picked them up myself. It's been a while since I've read each, but feel like the second is probably my favorite. And technically there's a movie too, but it definitely doesn't come anywhere near to the books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!