Friday, November 1, 2013

Giving Back: October

Last month I said that I wanted to start giving back by giving approximately $10 per paycheck to a good cause.  This month I have chose to give to three causes: Wildlife, Education and Diabetes. 

I Heart Ellies: $10
Belinda started this for her birthday!  All funds donated go to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust.  I donated the highest amount she offered, which is $5 and I donated twice.  She also has $1 and $3 options.  Click here for Belinda's post on I Heart Ellies!  Also, click here to see videos of the babies that were sponsored; she was about to raise enough to support 4 elephants!!  As Elephants are endangered species, it is so important for us to raise awareness and to help save as many as we can!  I am thrilled to have been able to contribute to the fostering of these four baby elephants!!


The Malala Fund: $10
For her birthday, Casey did something similar to Belinda!  She has set up for funds to be donated to the Malala Fund.  If you don't know who Malala is, go look her up.  Seriously, like right now.  Her story is incredible: After standing up for education for girls in Pakistan, the Taliban attempted to assassinate her by shooting her in the neck and head.  She is only 15 years old!   The Malala fund aims to provide resources to educate girls all over the world.  This is such an important cause and I am glad to have been able to donate!


Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation: $10 
Diabetes has always been a part of my life.  15 years ago (on Oct 24th, 1998 - we were 9) a close friend of mine (Laurie, one of my bridesmaids) lost her Mother to diabetes.  About two years later my best friend, Alex was diagnosed with diabetes (a few years beforehand, her cousin was also diagnosed).  Years later in 2006 when I went to Europe I became close with three girls, one of whom had diabetes.  Three years ago my friend Crystal, Laurie's sister, passed away from complications from diabetes.  Currently, my friend Heather is dating a guy with diabetes.  To top it off, on October 2nd of this year, my not so little baby Brother was diagnosed with diabetes.  So, to say this disease has affected my life would be an understatement.  All of these amazing people have Type 1 Diabetes, which they are so close to finding a cure for!  It was a no brainer that I donate to JDRF.  I actually used to walk with Alex's family when they participated in the walks for diabetes.



I really enjoyed giving back this month and am excited to find more good causes to donate to!

Also, a fun announcement!!  You know how I was supposed to go to Chicago in August and help my friend move but it just didn't work out??  Well, now I am 100% traveling there two days before Thanksgiving to help her move back (before she moves on to TN about a week later)!  I am super excited because I was really sad not to be going last time!   I will also be home in time for Thanksgiving dinner which is perfect :)

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! How generous of you! :)

    And I can't wait to read Malala's book, it's next on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for donating to the Malala Fund!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!