War of the Worlds
By: H.G. Wells
Pages: 232
Read: 10/25/11
"On October 30, 1938,
Orson Welles terrified American radio listeners by describing a Martian
invasion of Earth in a broadcast that became legendary. Forty years
earlier, H. G. Wells had first penned the story: The War of the Worlds, a science-fiction classic that endures in our collective subconscious.
Deeply concerned with the welfare of contemporary society, Wells wrote his novel of interplanetary conflict in anticipation of war in Europe, and in it he predicted the technological savagery of twentieth century warfare. Playing expertly on worldwide security fears, The War of the Worlds grips readers with its conviction that invasion can happen anytime, anywhere—even in our own backyard."
Deeply concerned with the welfare of contemporary society, Wells wrote his novel of interplanetary conflict in anticipation of war in Europe, and in it he predicted the technological savagery of twentieth century warfare. Playing expertly on worldwide security fears, The War of the Worlds grips readers with its conviction that invasion can happen anytime, anywhere—even in our own backyard."
Science Fiction is a weird genre for me; sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. In this case it was ehhh. The whole idea behind the alien invasion is good and the storyline is ok but it was just way to slow for my taste. Of course, the deeper meaning behind the whole story is definitely human superiority and how we think that we are the shiz, basically. It's sort of a reality check, like this universe is bigger than we can even comprehend, there is no way we are the only place with life. Anyways, I just had a hard time making it through this book and found the ending extremely anticlimactic, but I can dig the "deeper message".
I gave this book a 3/5 on my Goodreads.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks! I loved hearing from you!