Friday, April 12, 2013

Book Club Friday: Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed
By: Emily Giffin
Pages: 336 Nook
Read: 8/27/2012 (Read on Cruise)


"Something Borrowed tells the story of Rachel, a young attorney living and working in Manhattan. Rachel has always been the consummate good girl---until her thirtieth birthday, when her best friend, Darcy, throws her a party. That night, after too many drinks, Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy's fiancé. Although she wakes up determined to put the one-night fling behind her, Rachel is horrified to discover that she has genuine feelings for the one guy she should run from. As the September wedding date nears, Rachel knows she has to make a choice. In doing so, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk all to win true happiness. Something Borrowed is a phenomenal debut novel that will have you laughing, crying, and calling your best friend."
 {GoodReads}

I thought this book was OK.  The main problem I had was that I didn't like the characters.  Darcy was a complete bitch and Rachel was sort of pathetic.  It was hard for me to read a book where I really didn't feel like either of the characters grew.  Also, none of them were exactly likeable.  I liked the second book (Something blue) much better than this one because of that (more on that later).  This was a good read for vacation as it was short and easy to get through, there really were minimal slow points, which I liked. 

I gave this book a 3/5 on Goodreads.

 

5 comments:

  1. I do think considering the was Emily Giffin's first book it was awfully good. And while it has been a while since I read it I do remember enjoying it. And finally the fact that none of the character is likable tends to be a theme through her books, although I think she does get better at it where you see their faults but they're still likable in her more recent ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hear ya,the characters are annoying a lot of the times but at least it was still a rather enjoyable read....

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't impressed with this book either! The characters grated on my nerves. I found ya via Monday Mingle and love your blog. Can't wait to see what other books you are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this one but I have read Where We Belong and I loved it. Thanks for the review. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading this one in May or June, can't remember. I saw the movie a loooong time ago and liked it alright, so decided to give the books a shot :) I didn't like Darcy or Rachel very much in the movie either though LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!