Oh mainstream music, you really suck. I can't even put it nicely. And I can't even consider half of it music.
Unfortunately, I think part of the problem is the high premium our society puts on "beauty". Lets be serious, how many singers would you consider unattractive by American standards. I bet you five dollars you can't think of 5. I know I can't.
It just makes me sad that as a society, we'll listen to Miley Cyrus who, to anyone with functioning ears, obviously can't sing (and who is a horrible role model). If we're being honest with ourselves part of the reason for her success is her looks.
Selena Gomez is another. While she's not super crazy like Miley, her voice is so obviously messed with. The song below is a great example.
So, why are we digitally altering voices of people who can't sing rather than finding people who actually have good voices? In my opinion, looks definitely play a large role. I mean, look at how people initially reacted to Susan Boyle before she sang.
Anyway, off that soapbox and on to another.
I wont lie, I am a bit of a music snob. My Dad's side of the family is very musically talented. None of us are particularly good singers but are very good with instruments.
I can pick up an instrument, teach myself, and be fairly good at it with a few days practice (in fact, I did it just last week with my coworkers Ukulele). My Dad is a talented guitar player and my Pop was a talented guitar and piano player. I can play piano, guitar, clarinet, and violin. I also know a little bit about music theory. I understand what sounds go well together and which do not, and why. Mainstream music sounds like crap.
I also like songs that are about something. It seems like every new song I hear is about having sex, doing drugs, or getting drunk. That's really sad.
Needless to say, I have a low opinion of mainstream music. So, what do I listen to? I listen to older country (the new stuff is too mainstream ... apparently being "country" is in right now. I can't wait for that to pass!). I also listen to classic rock as well as classical and instrumental music. Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" is always the first song I teach myself to play on new instruments. I also like Bach, Debussy, Haydn, and Mairead Nesbitt. I am also a big fan of Celtic Woman and Celtic Thunder. I love how they both sing traditional Irish as well as music from other cultures. Of course, we can't forget musical soundtracks! Some of my favorites are Rent, the Sound of Music, Wicked, Rent, Les Mis, and Oklahoma!
Like I said, I'm a bit of a snob and I like music that actually sounds good. I don't care how the artist looks or anything like that. If they sound good, I'll listen to them.


Ooh, I saw the ladies of Celtic Woman perform a few years back and they were AWESOME! So neat to know you like them too! :)
ReplyDeleteI've never seen Susan Boyle's audition, but I've heard her story. That the judges went on and on and on about what a surprise she was is kind of insulting.
ReplyDeleteThat audition brings tears to my eyes every time!
ReplyDelete