I'm taking a break this week from my series on being a humane consumer to talk to y'all about another important topic. Food safety.
A few weeks ago I
began watching the documentary “Food Inc”.
This documentary really got m
e thinking about how ignorance is a really bad thing especially in situations like this. Ignorance is affecting our ability to change things.
e thinking about how ignorance is a really bad thing especially in situations like this. Ignorance is affecting our ability to change things.
For example, the
movie shows Wal Mart corporate employees working with Stoneyfield Organic – a
brand I happen to love. The employee
said that Wal Mart began carrying some organic products based on consumer
demands. Consumers changed one of the
largest corporations in the world. We
have the power to change things, but we also have to power to keep them the
same.
The guy who
founded Stoneyfield was often accused by his friends of selling out but explains that by
getting his product on the shelf at a place like Wal Mart, more people are
seeing it and getting educated. He also
said it proves that you can produce foods safely and organically and still do
very well on the business end. So more
people are exposed to eating organically than if he just targeted health food
stores. I completely agree with his
strategy.
This is why this next part really bothers the crap out of me.
When I put my
initial reaction to the documentary on Facebook, a lot of people said they’d
never watch it because they just don’t want to know. I’m sorry, but that is the stupidest fucking
thing I have ever heard! Like,
ever!
Our government is
basically supporting the poisoning of its citizens because of money, but you’d
rather not know? Let me know how you
feel about that after you or a loved one contract E Coli form a burger you ate. How are we, as
consumers, supposed to affect change if we just ignore the issues because "the
burgers just taste so good" or “it so cheap"?
This is a huge
problem! I wrote a seven page research
paper in my research writing class about the effects of antibiotics in animals
on our health and on the environment and let me tell you, it’s not pretty. And this is just the tip of the iceberg as
far as what’s wrong with the way food is produced.
I would rather
know the gory details so that I can choose my food more wisely. I would rather know what’s happening and make
the choice not to support it.
The same goes for
animal testing. It’s not pretty, so
people pretend it doesn’t exist so they can go on buying the $2.00 bottle of
body wash and not feel guilty that some poor animal had to be tortured so they
can be cheap.
Yes, I do spend a
bit more money on food, toiletries, and cleaning products but I know what I’m
putting on and in my body is safe and that animals were not abused in the
making of the products. I also know that
my fruits and veggies are not filled with nasty pesticides or sprayed with
gases.
Being ignorant is
not a good thing. Consumers have the
power to affect change by what they buy and what they don’t buy. If we support local non-factory farms over
the products sold in stores or that we know are produced by factory farms, we can really change the food industry.
However, if we do
nothing, things will stay the same and we will continue to poison our bodies in
the name of money, laziness and corporate greed.
Watch Food Inc. on
Netflix and let me know your reaction. I
would love to know what others think about it.
I completely agree with you. Watching Food, Inc. completely changed my life. We now get our meat from a local farm that raises their animals safely, humanely, and organically. You can literally taste the difference. I have spoken openly about our decisions to purchase organic meats and produce to many of my friends and most of them have never seen the documentary either. It drives me crazy how some people are totally fine not knowing what they are putting in their bodies and allowing the government and big corporations to decide that for them. Especially when these these companies go on without disclosing the truth behind their practices.
ReplyDeleteI have never watched Food, Inc. But you are right about Our government is basically supporting the poisoning of its citizens because of money. Monsanto is one of the best buddies of the government. They are the leader in producing GMO. My family and I live on a small farm in central Alabama. We raise chickens, ducks, sheep, and cattle. We have fresh eggs daily - which is such a blessing. I make butter from cream and we avoid all things that have carmel coloring and dyes in them. I use all the GMO-free products that I can find in our area. I only use NON-GMO sugar and NON-GMO whole wheat flour. People just do not realize what is killing them.
ReplyDeleteMonsanto is actually a big part of the documentary - the whole last probably 30-40 minutes is focused on them. It's absolutely insane and it's insane how they go after farmers. I was floored.
Delete