Friday, March 7, 2014

Book Club Friday: City of Glass

City of Glass
By: Cassandra Clare
Read: 3/1/2014
Pages: 541


"To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of the New York Times bestselling series The Mortal Instruments."

{GoodReads}

I still love this series but I think this was my least favorite so far!  This book was a bit more serious than the last two but it's definitely fitting for what happens.  This is also the book where a lot of questions are answered and where a lot of information is given about different characters.  However, I found Clary super annoying in this book.  It almost ruined the book for me.  And Jace was sort of annoying me too because he went from badass to super softy ... like, can we notAnd I really think the whole series could have done without Simon.  What I did really like was the ending and the whole angel Raziel scene.  I was totally not expecting that and I really liked it.  This book was sort of a mixed bag for me because I liked the story but the characters were getting on my nerves (Luke is definitely my favorite).  I'm definitely reading the 4th one to see where it goes from here.  Right now I'm thinking it would have been good as a Trilogy but we'll see.

I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the series too. It was originally intended to be a trilogy when the first 2 books came out. The infernal devices series by the same author is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read this book it only was a trilogy, since they other books hadn't come out yet and hadn't yet been planned. In a way I kind of liked it as the end, but after reading the rest I'm glad the others came out.

    And not sure if you've picked up book 4 yet, but I'd recommend reading Clare's books in the order they were published. That would mean reading the first of The Infernal Devices now, and then going back to book 5, and from there back and forth. You don't necessarily need to, but the series definitely allude to each other in a way that works if that's the way you read them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!