Let's talk about a commercial I watch recently. And I know its just a commercial and all but this really irked me.
Ok, so WTF. Since when do parents have to ask permission to eat food that they bought. I saw this and was like aww hell no! Like I said, it's just a commercial and it shouldn't make me this mad but it totally does. I mean really, what does that say about parenting this day in age. I paid for those halos I'll eat as many as I damn well please! And holy entitlement! Argh, I really don't know why this bothers me so much but every time I watch it it makes me angry.
What makes me more angry is seeing this in real life. I've seen it so many times working in the restaurant business and in the customer service industry. I see parents trying to be BFF's instead of parents ... and then wonder why their kid is an asshole and runs around the restaurant/store like a raving lunatic. A lot of the time this happens because parents want their kids to like them. I mean, I probably told my Mother I hated her a million times in elementary school ... because I was a kid and that's what kids do, but since she didn't give in to my brattyness I now have this rare disease called respect for my parents *gasps*. If your 3 year old tells you they hate you, who f**king cares - they are just trying to test you and they're way to young to actually understand the concept of hate. They don't really hate you, they just want you to give in to what they want.
My Mom's actually pretty funny, my sister told her one time because she wouldn't let her get an Ice Cream, "your the meanest Mom I ever had" so my Mom yelled back, "so go live with one of your nice Mom's then!" my sister got this confused look on her face and then just stomped away. Mom was standing with me and some of the neighbors and after my sister walked away everyone just busted out laughing. If you take that approach rather than being all hurt about it, it's definitely better for the kid in the long run. And if one of us started screaming in a store because she wouldn't give us something she'd just ignore us, she wouldn't give in. Instead of being all embarrassed about us being kids, she taught us that throwing a shit fit does not get you anywhere. So now I get super pissed when I see parents giving in to their screaming kids just because they're embarrassed ... get over it.
... OK, enough ranting for today. All that from a commercial. I think I need therapy.
What makes me more angry is seeing this in real life. I've seen it so many times working in the restaurant business and in the customer service industry. I see parents trying to be BFF's instead of parents ... and then wonder why their kid is an asshole and runs around the restaurant/store like a raving lunatic. A lot of the time this happens because parents want their kids to like them. I mean, I probably told my Mother I hated her a million times in elementary school ... because I was a kid and that's what kids do, but since she didn't give in to my brattyness I now have this rare disease called respect for my parents *gasps*. If your 3 year old tells you they hate you, who f**king cares - they are just trying to test you and they're way to young to actually understand the concept of hate. They don't really hate you, they just want you to give in to what they want.
My Mom's actually pretty funny, my sister told her one time because she wouldn't let her get an Ice Cream, "your the meanest Mom I ever had" so my Mom yelled back, "so go live with one of your nice Mom's then!" my sister got this confused look on her face and then just stomped away. Mom was standing with me and some of the neighbors and after my sister walked away everyone just busted out laughing. If you take that approach rather than being all hurt about it, it's definitely better for the kid in the long run. And if one of us started screaming in a store because she wouldn't give us something she'd just ignore us, she wouldn't give in. Instead of being all embarrassed about us being kids, she taught us that throwing a shit fit does not get you anywhere. So now I get super pissed when I see parents giving in to their screaming kids just because they're embarrassed ... get over it.
... OK, enough ranting for today. All that from a commercial. I think I need therapy.
Okay yeah I know which commercial you're referring to and it is annoying! These kids are getting raised up with thoughts of entitlement. Look at the girl in Jersey who moved out because she didn't like her parents rules and then took them to court to sue them. Thank God she lost that but now they're taking the parents back for college tuition in April. I'm like my parents paid for me to go to college but they didn't have to. They did it because they could and wanted me to have a college education, not because they HAD to.
ReplyDeleteI never looked at the commercial this way until I read this post. Maybe it's because I don't have kids so I'm not as sensitive to the issue. I do, however, understand your annoyance at parents who always give into their children. nine times out of ten they grow up to be brats. It's just uncalled for. That said, I know of some people who were spoiled but ended up being lovely people. They are few in number, though.
ReplyDeleteHa! I thought that commercial was wrong, too.
ReplyDelete