Monday, June 24, 2013

Ladew Topiary Gardens: Part 1

On June 14, Josh and I happened to have off work on the same day.  We wanted to do something different that wasn't too expensive and was not far from home.   We settled on Ladew Gardens in Monkton, MD which is about 30 minutes from our house.


We were going to do the house and gardens tour but since we got there so late we only had about an hour and 20 minutes to explore the gardens and the house tour was 45 minutes long.  We decided to ditch the house tour and just do the gardens.


Ladew Gardens was started in 1937 by Harvey Ladew, the owner of the house and property.  He loved the art of topiary, which is the trimming and training of shrubs into figures, thus Ladew Topiary Gardens was started.

Pictured above is the hunt scene.  A Rider and hounds hunting a fox (you can't see the fox in this picture).

The photo above is from the Victorian Garden which is a "Garden Room"


This is the Croquet Court, which was originally a tennis court, then Mr. Ladew changed it to this croquet court.



The Rose Garden.  Roses were Mr. Ladew's favorite flower.

  


The Garden of Eden - which was not in bloom while we were there.   In the Statue, Adam is hiding the apple behind his back.


 The Water Lily Garden.



 The Great Bowl.  This is a two acre bowl shaped lawn and the fountain used to be a swimming pool.  I took a photo from every direction.





The Terrace Garden, which has three levels and a secret garden room.





Josh in the secret Garden Room

This took up the first half of our trip.  Since this is so photo heavy and I can't seem to cut out any photos, this is going to be a two part post.  So, Wednesday I will share the rest of the gardens including my two favorite areas: the Iris Garden and the Sculpture Garden. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, these are incredibly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my could you imagine having to do the upkeep on that? I can barely keep my flower beds weeded. haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!