Friday, May 10, 2013

Book Club Friday: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
By: Fannie Flagg
Pages: 403
Read: 7/26/12


"It's first the story of two women in the 1980s, of gray-headed Mrs. Threadgoode telling her life story to Evelyn, who is in the sad slump of middle age. The tale she tells is also of two women -- of the irrepressibly daredevilish tomboy Idgie and her friend Ruth, who back in the thirties ran a little place in Whistle Stop, Alabama, a Southern kind of Cafe Wobegon offering good barbecue and good coffee and all kinds of love and laughter, even an occasional murder."

I can't begin to describe how much I LOVE this book!  I actually saw the movie first because Josh said I had to see it.  Then I discovered it was a book so I immediately went to Barnes and Noble to get it!  I thought it was brilliant, the characters were all very well developed.  There was also controversies that were seen as a big deal in Alabama in the early 1900's such as homosexuality and racial prejudice.  I thought it was a heartwarming book and a great look at life, death, love and friendship.  If you love Southern Literature and a great story, this book is for you!

I gave this book a 5/5 on my Goodreads :)


3 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book or seen the movie. But from everything I've heard think I'd really enjoy both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie is really wonderful. I haven't read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the movie- but I can only imagine the book is x10 better. Sounds like a good summer read to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!