Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Mount Vernon, Virginia - Part 2

Yesterday I wrote about the day trip that me and my sister took to Mount Vernon this past Thursday.  I decided to break it up into  two post since there are so many pictures that I wanted to share.  Yesterday I shared everything that we did before lunch and today I am going to share what we saw after lunch :) Click here to start from the beginning at yesterdays post.

Heading back towards the house
Slaves Quarters
The Shoemakers Shop
Inside - The shoemaker made and repaired shoes for the slaves.  The Washington's got finer shoes from merchants or London manufacturers
The Stove Room
This room kept the green house next door warm and functioning
Male Slave Quarters
Blacksmith Shop
Outside of the Blacksmith Shop
The Overseers Quarters
From the outside

 Due to Washington being away from his home so much, he had one overseer for each of his 5 farms who were there to make sure that everything ran smoothly in his absence. 

The Spinning Room
The Gardeners House
The Salt House
Back to the main house!
The Servants Hall
Me and the Original Front door.
Me on the back porch
Walkway between the kitchen and the main house
The Potomac
The Storehouse
The Storehouse
The Outhouse.

And that concludes our tour of Mount Vernon.  We loved it!  We are planning a trip back in the spring when the flowers have bloomed because the grounds have two huge garden areas that should be beautiful in the spring or summer :)

I'll leave you with some instaphotos 




6 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun tour! I bet it will be beautiful when the flowers are in bloom. I've always wanted to go tour the sites in DC in springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! what an interesting trip! you got some great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the instaphotos at the end- so pretty :)

    My Travel Tuesday Post
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live right up the road from here! I've only been once, at Christmas time (they decorate it really nicely), but it was too cold to really walk around and explore. I'm seeing that I missed so much! I'll have to get there - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mount Vernon is one of my favorite place that I remember visiting with my family on one of our trips. Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special place to visit! I have not yet seen any of the old American historical sites outside of Texas. Someday...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!