This is always a post that makes my heart ache. Every September 11th I write about those who were lost and those who live with what they saw that day.
This year, I am angry.
I am angry that our President wants to defend the people who did this to us, this time in Syria. I am angry that more people are not educated about Syria and what going to war means. It means putting our troops at risk by getting involved in another countries business (yes, we should be educated about what is going on in the world, but it does not mean we need to get involved). It means that our government cares more about making sure that defense contractors are happy rather than the safety of our people and our troops.
I am really mad that each year, people seem to remember less and less. I see less people wearing Red, White and Blue, I see less facebook posts and I hear less people talking about what happened.
I am also really angry that our Government seems to have forgotten that they represent the people of the United States, not their own self interests! (More on that in a later post).
When I remember what happened that day 12 years ago, I think about all that was lost and why no one seems to remember who was responsible.

I remember these two great men who lost their lives. They were husbands/boyfriends, fathers, and friends. I think about the way they must have felt being stuck at the top of the towers knowing there was no way out. I think that knowing Matthew, and probably Mr. Joe, since they worked for the same company, survived the initial impact is absolutely horrifying. I think about the way they must have felt, knowing that they would never see their loved ones again. Not knowing why the plane hit the building and what was going to happen when it was all over.
I think about my friend Lauren, who was not able to share her wedding day with her Father and who does not get to share her two beautiful children with her father. I think about Matthews girlfriend who he was planning to propose to, who never gets to know how their lives may have turned out.
I think about my cousin Cindy, a survivor. I think about the friends that she will never see again. I think about the friend who saved her, without whom, I may have been attending yet another funeral. I think about her daughters who would not be here today and her husband who was scared to death for his wife of just 4 months. I think about the horrible memory that she has to live with for the rest of her life.
I remember being terrified on that day. Sitting in 7th grade social studies, I remember people began getting called to the office one by one, then in large groups, then the whole school. I remember not having a clue what was going on. I remember coming home to terrified parents who told me that my cousin worked in those towers. I remember getting the phone call from Mrs. Peacher saying that Mr. Joe was up in NY for his once a month meeting in the towers and that he wouldn't survive. Then getting the call that Mrs. Char's nephew was also in the towers working for that same company on the 95th floor. All this while waiting for news of my cousin. I remember that moment before my parents were able to tell me that Cindy had made it out. I was 12 years old but I felt like I was 30. I struggled to try to understand why someone would do something so horrible. I watch news footage after news footage, documentary after documentary. I am 24 years old and I still don't understand it.
This day will always be full of emotions for me and hundreds of thousands of other Americans. It is not something for us to just forget about because it is too painful to remember. The events of September 11 affect our lives every day. I think the most important thing is to remember those who were lost, those whose lives were so suddenly and carelessly taken from us.
About the Firm that my Cousin, Cindy worked for
Read this article for the latest on Syria.
Slightly lighter approach on Buzzfeed
9/11 Digital Archives



Absolute chills. Never forgotten.
ReplyDeleteI got goosebumps reading your story from 7th grade. Incredible.
ReplyDeleteAnd I LOVE that graphic about East Baltimore. SO TRUE! Ugh.