The Book Thief
By: Markus Zusak
Pages: 424 (on Nook)
Read: 2/11/13
Read: 2/11/13
"It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery....
Narrated by Death, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a young foster girl living outside of Munich in Nazi Germany. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist – books. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever they are to be found.
With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids, as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement."
{GoodReads}
I can not say enough good things about this book! It was a great story and I liked hearing the story through a German child's eyes (even though the story was told by death, which was also interesting) because for someone that age it must have been hard to grasp the concept of what was happening in Germany. The end broke my heart into little pieces and I cried like a baby .... at school in the library ... Slightly embarrassing. I think it was very well written and it kept my interest, I never got bored. I highly recommend this book, especially those interested in the WWII era.
I gave this book a 5/5 on my GoodReads!
I gave this book a 5/5 on my GoodReads!


do you think they got married in the end? that was what I was hoping for!
ReplyDeleteI've heard so many good things about The Book Thief. I haven't read it yet, but I definitely plan to!
ReplyDeleteOh lord, I haven't read Boy in the Striped Pajamas, but I saw the movie...hope you have kleenexes ready!
ReplyDeleteI tried to read The Book Thief, but couldn't get into it. I have heard so many good things about it and I feel compelled to pick it back up and try again!
ReplyDeleteI really liked this book too! It was different but interesting. Glad you liked it!
ReplyDelete