Thursday, November 1, 2012

Unhappy Halloween

This was not the Halloween I expected.  I ended up working in the A.M. which was 100% fine by me because I missed work on Monday due to Hurricane Sandy.   

After worked I ended up freaking out about a paper that I thought was due today but its not due til Tuesday!! (At least it is done)!   

Then at around 6, I headed to Mom's house to hand out candy to trick-or-treater's so that she could go out with my brother.  (Since we're in the middle of nowhere and get no trick-or-treaters).  P.S. Charlie does NOT like Halloween!

Mom's House Decorated
Watch Doggie
Again
Jason as Captain America
So, around 7 I'm sitting out front and Charlie is in the house having a shit fit, so naturally I start getting annoyed.  Then I notice the neighbor's dogs across the street start doing the same thing, then the ones behind the house too, so I'm like dude, really?  So I sit there for like two minutes and then start hearing sirens.  First it is police, so I'm thinking it is a bunch of kids fighting or something.  Then comes a few more (like 10 total) then here comes and ambulance, then a few fire trucks, all going to the street that runs perpendicular to Mom's and they are stopping relatively close to the house.  Obviously, I'm like uhhhhh, WTF.  So I get up off the porch and start walking to the corner and start seeing smoke!!  A house was on fire, big time! 

This was taken from the corner. 



I watched from the corner so that I didn't get in the way, then I see a Schwan's truck pulling up. (I worked for Schwan's for about a year up until September of this year).  And then I see the truck park and a guy Paul that I  worked with starts sprinting towards the house.  Then it hits me that we had a conversation about how he lived right by my Mom.  So instead of staying where I was, I went down towards the fire to see if it was his house and if everyone was OK.  Thankfully, it was not his house, it was next door to him, and his neighbors were able to get his pets out and his wife and kids were not home.

I have a friend who works dispatch for our area so I texted her to make sure that everyone that was in the house was OK.  She said one person was transported for CO inhalation but it was not emergency and that everyone else was OK. 

Not exactly the evening that I was hoping for, but I am glad that the family and everyone involved is OK!  I have never seen a house on fire (that wasn't set on fire on purpose), and it was a very scary experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!