Friday, May 16, 2014

Book Club: Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why
By: Jay Asher
Pages: 288
Read: 4/24/14


"Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers." 

I decided to read this book because my sister raved about it.  I wasn't going to read it but after finishing my last book, I needed something easy and fast.   This book was much better than I expected it to be.  Though it wasn't the best book I've ever read, I really did enjoy it and I think there is definitely a great lesson to be learned from reading this book.  That lesson is that you never know what's going on in someone's life and just because you believe what you did to them is inconsequential, it may just be their breaking point.  I believe this book is definitely worth reading.  I would especially recommend it to mothers with teenage daughters - share the book with them and remind them that their actions have consequences.

I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard great things about this one, and Jay Asher in general. He's definitely an author I've been wanting to read for a while now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!