Monday, December 9, 2013

Around DC: The Vietnam Veterans Memorial


The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is one of my favorite memorials in DC.  The names of every victim of the war is etched into this 493 foot long wall.




In my opinion, The Vietnam Memorial is the most humbling of all of the memorials in DC.  They have papers that you can take and etch the named of family and friends onto that paper from the wall.  Every time I see someone doing this, my heart goes out the them.  It's a sharp reminder of the repercussions of war even decades after it is over.    I am so thankful to the men and women who make the choice to be this countries first line of defense and I am glad that they have been memorialized. 

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial was constructed specifically to honor the people who served.  Construction of the wall was started in March 1982 and finished in November of 1984.  

Currently, there are approximately 58,272 names etched into the wall.   The names are ordered chronologically by date and time of death (approximately).   

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is located northeast of the Lincoln Memorial.  It is not technically on the National Mall.  Also, right by the Memorial is another Vietnam memorial called The Three Soldiers.


This memorial was actually placed here in 1984 because people so strongly objected to the concept of the wall.   One man is white, one is black, and one is Hispanic.  The concept of the memorial was chosen in a contest and this was actually the concept which came in third place. 

If you are ever in DC, The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is definitely worth a visit and is located just adjacent to the mall so it is within walking distance of pretty much everything. 

Location: Constitutional Gardens, Washington, D.C.
Price of Admission: Free 

2 comments:

  1. I agree. The Vietnam Memorial was the most moving thing I saw in DC. It skips over everything and gets right to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't been in so many years but i do love the vietnam memorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!