Friday, January 11, 2013

Book Club Friday: Beastly

Beastly
By: Alex Flinn
Pages: 213 on Nook
Read: 1/9/13
 

"I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright--a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever--ruined--unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly."

Before I knew this was a book, I saw the movie and I enjoyed it. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie so I was definitely interested in seeing it.  I thought it was a bit cheesey but still cute.  The book is actually pretty different from the movie, I mean the idea is the same but the events and even his looks are different.  I liked the book better. Surprise, surprise haha.
 
It was a quick read, it took me from about 630pm on Wednesday night to 1230am on Thursday to finish the book.   Like the movie, it was a little cheesey.  The internal dialogue sometimes made me want to barf, but it was an enjoyable story, I can't say I didn't like it.  Also, if you are looking for something that is well written, this is not a book for you. This is definitely a typical "rich attractive kid has something dramatic happen to him then falls for poor pretty but not hot girl after he gets over himself" kind of deal.   It was an enjoyable read aimed more at young adults but I would recommend it to anyone looking for something quick and easy.  I am glad I read it.

I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars on my Goodreads.


3 comments:

  1. i am a sucker for any nicholas sparks novel :) i can't wait to go see the safe haven movie!

    happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about Beastly, the book more-so than the movie, but haven't experience either. I have heard there's somewhat of a companion book, about the witch in the story, that's also supposed to be entertaining. Since you weren't a huge fan of this, I'm not sure if it's something you want to read, but just in case you hadn't heard about it, I thought it might be something you'd want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen the movie, but not read the book. But I do still want to read it - even if it's cheesy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!