Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Book Review: The Selection Series

The Selection Series
By: Kiera Cass
Read: 9/25/14


I'm really not sure why I liked these books so much, but I really did.  They weren't some fantastic pieces of literature but I liked the whole idea behind the book, it's dystopian but it seems like everything went backwards.  The main character was really the only one who made me want to throw the book across the room.  In the first book she is very whiny and ungrateful but it gets better in the second and third.  In the second she reminded me of the character Clary from the Mortal Instruments series in that she would do the exact opposite of what people said she should and most of the time it ended badly.   Also, the character Aspen was just annoying and definitely not someone I'd ever want to be with.  He seemed like he was there to be the emotionally abusive ex or something.   Maxon and his family were very real characters as well as some of the other girl's in the competition, which I really liked.  I also thing that the relationships between the characters develop very nicely and realistically throughout the books.   My favorite book was definitely the last one - there are very few cases when I think the series gets better with each book, but that is definitely the case here.  The very ending could have been a little better but overall everything wrapped up nicely, there was some conflict and a bit of violence, and the characters were at their best.  Overall, it was just a good easy series to read.   There are some faults but I think the relationships that the characters build and the overall development of the plot really overshadows the bad things about the books.

I gave each of these books a 4/5 on GoodReads.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading these as well!! I thoroughly enjoyed them, though I can't say exactly why - they were just fun to read. I wasn't a fan of Aspen either, and some of the things America did were annoying and silly. I was very upset about a certain death (ok 3 deaths, or maybe 4) in the last book, you're right though it definitely got better as the series went on!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I loved hearing from you!